Sunday, October 28, 2007

#21 Podcasts, Smodcasts

I can only reiterate how helpful I have found Helen Blower's introductory podcasts for each of the learning criteria in Learning 2.0. Odeo, as a free hosting service, has become my best friend since embarking on this online learning experience. Although I already own an iPod, I hadn't made the connection between iTunes and podcasts, until now.
I also found the Yahoo tutorial very useful and am very excited to learn that next time I sync my iPod, my chosen podcats will be dowloaded automatically to my iPod for listening on the go. Imagine my horror to discover that Yahoo is closing down their podcast site on 31 October, 2007. I liked the fact that Yahoo has the most popular tags on their front page to make it easy to choose descriptors. However, I did find the main category search terms very broad so that when I chose arts I retrieved podcasts varying from martial arts to author talks. The majority of podcasts appeared to be American in origin.
A narrower search of authors and Melbourne was more effective in narrowing down the results to some gems including Alice Pung, Michael Panckridge and Tara Moss.
I was amused that using the acronym SLV instead of the complete descriptor State Library of Victoria gave 179 results, the first page of podcasts relating to the series Sex, lies and videos.
My favourite podcast was triple J's series: Triple j's Hack: literary love which is a podcast from State library of Victoria, at a literary event, in February, 2007. This event was attended by hundreds of people who participated in text appeal speed dating.
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/notes/
I can see applications for podcasting within our library home page, for example, news broadcasts in various languages; author talks; book reviews; and conference proceedings.

No comments: