Tuesday, October 30, 2007

#23 Is this really the end? Or just the beginning...?

Reflecting on my Learning 2.0 journey,I do believe I have achieved my goals which I set in Week 1, i.e. to discover as much as possible about Web 2.0 technologies freely available on the Internet; to prepare me for my role of supporting my library community in its use of the same tools; and increasing my confidence in approaching the technological demands of the future. I thought my main obstacle would be adjusting to learning in an online setting having previously been used to more formal styles of learning. However, Lynette & Leslie's tips for success, emails, blog comments and words of encouragement along with podcasts & YouTube videos made for a nurturing learning environment and helped me make the necessary mindset changes.
My favourite discoveries were podcasts, knowing that I can listen on the web or on my iPod; YouTube, even though I found the exercise one of the most dificult because I didn't realize that the embedded code was so long; and Library Thing which will enable me to catalogue my home library. In terms of useful library applications, I see a future for Wikis in so far as they will make us an online hub for our local community allowing users to create, edit and share information in a collaborative space. Just because I am now more aware of the role which Web 2.0 technologies can play in making libraries more user-centric, I don't intend ignoring the needs of a large proportion of our community who choose not to begin their own web journey.
One of the main unexpected outcomes of my Learning 2.0 experience was its addictiveness, once begun. Hopefully, that will carry me into the future...

Thanks to SLV and to Lynette Lewis and Leslie Sharples.

1 comment:

Yarra Plenty Library Regional Library said...

Congratulations...a learning 2.0 graduate.
A job well done.

Lynette